"Every child ought to be made to understand not only something of the world in which he lives, but something of the inheritance from the past to which he is born."
William Charles Braithwaite,1909
Photo taken July 4, 2005 by Pam Ferguson
This bell was purchased and placed in the original Winchester Friends
Meetinghouse in June of 1875. It was reinstalled in the current
meetinghouse in 1898. Today it still stands at the top of the bell
tower and rings every Sunday morning before meeting for worship.
This is this original Winchester Quarterly Meetinghouse. It was built in 1874 on a lot given to the Quarterly Meeting by James Moorman.
The two and one half story brick building was used for the local meetings for worship of the Winchester Friends Preparative Meeting and for the Winchester Quarterly Meetings.
The building was dedicated on December 20, 1874. Robert W. Douglass, David Updegraft, Henry Merrill and Mary H. Rogers and other ministers were in attendance at the dedication service of this Quarterly Meetinghouse. Elkanah and Irena Beard were the first pastors of the Winchester Preparative meeting.
The building was said to be "one of the best [Meetinghouses] in east central Indiana." It faced East Street with an offset entry on the South side. A bell tower was added after the building was finished. The Quarterly Meetinghouse was a brick Italianate that resembled the Meetinghouses build in Dublin and Spiceland in 1873 and 1874.
This is a post card from the early 1900's of the current Meetinghouse. It was built in 1898 at the same spot as the above meetinghouse. For more information about the history of these buildings and the monthly meeting, check out the History of the Meeting button to the left or a paper on "The Legacies of Winchester Friends Church:1873-2006" by Anna Crumley-Effinger.